We are doing all we can to help teens and young adults make wise choices regarding their sexual purity.
Below are some basic points we cover in this youth/parent fireside. Keep in mind that we will be sharing stories and examples that clearly illustrate these points. We do it all in a way that brings laughter, and then deeply spiritual feelings. We quote our Church leaders throughout the presentation. Here’s our basic outline:
1. We begin by reinforcing that the Lord wants them to experience the greatest happiness possible. He wants them to laugh and have fun. Pres. Hinckley said, “In all of living have much of fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.” (New Era, Oct. 2001, p.4)
Satan’s plan, exact opposite. “…he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.” (2 Nephi 2:27, prophet Lehi teaches his son Jacob)
Their protection: the standards in the booklet For the Strength of Youth
2. We then explain, in a fun way, that we will be focusing on one particular standard in the booklet: Sexual Purity. We are specific and appropriate as we quote what Church leaders have said about it. One being, Elder Richard G. Scott: “Any sexual intimacy outside of the bonds of marriage—I mean any intentional contact with the sacred, private parts of another’s body, with our without clothing—is a sin and is forbidden by God.”
3. We talk about the standard of Repentance, also found in the booklet. Then Gary sings our song “There Is Forgiveness”.
4. We talk about Entertainment and Media, and its effect on being morally clean. We are direct about the destroying power of pornography, and quote Pres. Hinckley “Pornography, with its sleazy filth, sweeps over the earth like a horrible engulfing tide. It is poison. Do not watch it or read it. It will destroy you if you do.” (Ensign Nov. 1997) We warn them with a captivating analogy.
5. We talk about the standard Dress and Appearance and the part this plays in being morally clean. We want them to realize how everything they do, every action they take in keeping the commandments, living the standards in the booklet For the Strength of Youth, will lead them to be worthy to enter the Temple. Gary sings our song about this, title When It’s Love, while pictures of temples are shown on the screen.
6. We then teach specifics about appropriate dating, and boundaries that must be set and how to set them. We have a fun time with this section and the kids seem to really get involved.
7. We end with our testimony about Jesus Christ and that He loves them and is watching over them. And that each one of them is of infinite worth to Him. We close with our song I Am of Infinite Worth with pictures of Christ appearing on the screen during the song.
This fireside presentation is filled with fun ideas, stories, startling facts, Church leaders’ quotes, and music, delivered in a way that the kids are kept involved and riveted. Many youth who have attended this event have said, “Thank you for making it so clear. I didn’t realize, and just didn’t know what to do. Now I know.” Parents, bishops and youth leaders have likewise expressed appreciation.
To find out more or to schedule a fireside for your stake or multi-stakes please call 801-224-3447 or email the Lundbergs.